Player Spotlight – Gabriel Landeskog

No.. it’s not the name of the newest coffee table from Ikea.  Gabriel Landeskog, the 21 year old Swede is pretty impressive.  Did I mention he is the teams captain?  Oh I didn’t… then I guess I didn’t mention that he is also the youngest captain in NHL history.  Landeskog was drafted 2nd overall by the Colorado Avalanche in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft after the Oilers’ Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.  The kid is a stud.  In his first season in 2011 in 82 games he scored 52 points.  This season, he started a little slow with only 17 points in 32 games, but other teams are starting to pinpoint the young captain.

His scouting report was also pretty impressive… I mean come on… it should be for a second overall pick:

A skilled two-way forward with good speed, hands and hockey sense. Capable goal-scorer and playmaker. Decent size and good strength, loves to hit, has a good attitude and excellent leadership qualities. Leads by example both on and off the ice.
(EP 2009)

Landeskog helped Sweden win the gold medal at the 2013 IIHF World Championships, racking up three goals and an assist with a plus-4 rating, and is ecstatic to be making his first ever Olympic appearance in a couple of weeks.  Congratulations and good luck!  We look forward to seeing great things from this young guy for years to come!

Leave a Reply

WordPress.com Logo

Twitter picture

Facebook photo